Believe it or not, one of Squirrelly, Jr.’s very favorite foods is squash. I know. He’s just weird.
But a mom has to take advantage of a child’s particular weirdnesses. So, I’ve been working on different ways to make squash for him. Generally, he prefers it sauteed instead of boiled. No surprise there – I’m in total agreement with him on that. Baked squash works for him, too, though.
Of course, man cannot live on squash alone. Besides, we had absolutely beautiful heirloom cherry tomatoes in our CSA basket from Downing Hollow Farm this week along with zucchini and assorted summer squash. We just had to put it all together with a little something special we brought back for Teh Boy from Harmoni Market in Orlando.
Super Summer Pasta
- 1 lb Squid Ink Angel Hair Pasta You can substitute regular pasta.
- 3 zucchini squash julienned
- 1/2 c minced onion
- 1 c cherry tomatoes halved
- 10 leaves of basil chiffonade-cut
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- sea salt and cayenne pepper to taste
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain, reserving 1/2 c of pasta cooking liquid. Toss pasta with 1 tbsp of olive oil.
- In hot pasta pan, saute onion in 1 tbsp of olive oil, salt and pepper until translucent.
- Add zucchini ribbons and toss to coat. Saute until ribbons begin to bend, approximately 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and basil. Saute for 2 minutes until tomatoes are beginning to release juice and zucchini is tender.
- Add pasta, reserved liquid and remaining olive oil. Toss to blend all ingredients together. Serve immediately.