Sweet Corn Veloute
- 8 ears yellow and white corn, shucked
- 6 tbsp butter
- 1 pint heavy cream
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 cup white corn syrup
- white pepper
- Cut kernels from ears.
- Melt butter over medium heat in a large soup pot.
- Add corn to butter and cook until corn is tender and juices are being released, about 30 minutes.
- Add heavy cream and sugar. Continue cooking, stirring frequently until cream is steaming but not boiling.
- Remove from heat.
- Working in batches, puree corn and cream in food processor until smooth.
- Strain each batch through a fine mesh strainer or chinois, pressing to get all liquid from solids.
- Reserve solids.
- Return solids and 1 cup water to food processor.
- Puree until water is blended and mixture is smooth.
- Strain as before.
- Return smooth soup to medium heat.
- Stirring continuously, add corn syrup in small portions to taste. (Corn syrup will not be necessary when corn is at peak sweetness.)
- Add salt and white pepper to taste.
- Continue cooking until soup is steaming, but never allow it to reach a boil.
- Serve hot with a dollop of creme fraiche and diced chives.