So Mama Squirrel and Squirrelly, Jr., are still in their tropical paradise, and here I am home alone and cleaning out the pantry. Tonight I came across a single beer in there. I have no idea why it was in the pantry. I think maybe we put it there when the refrigerator got too full one day. I contemplated putting the beer back in the fridge to chill for tomorrow, but a sad little bachelor drinking his sad little beer was just too… well… sad.
Now I still have part of the pork tenderloin that I turned into pork au poivre. I have access to quite a spice rack. I have one sad little beer. Yeah, this should work.
Drunken Bachelor Pork
- 1 pound pork tenderloin cubed
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 teaspon salt
- 1 tablespoon crushed black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 beer preferably dark Although I made au poivre with apple brandy, so you could probably do this with a nice raspberry Abita Purple Haze.
- Add the salt, pepper, cumin, and chili powder to the pork and mix to coat evenly. The seasoning measurements are approximate. Feel free to vary things to your liking. Besides, should you really trust a recipe called drunken bachelor pork?
- Heat a heavy sauce pan over medium-high heat. Add the oil.
- Working in small batches, brown the meat in the pan.
- When all the pork is browned, reduce the heat to medium. Add the onions and a pinch of salt. Saute until the onions are clear and soft.
- Remove the pan from the heat. Add the beer and the pork.
- Turn the heat to low and simmer for 20 - 30 minutes.
- Remove the pork and onions from the beer with a slotted spoon and enjoy.
The pork is excellent on sandwiches. A great option if you have leftovers is to toss the pork and some diced tomato into a skillet. Add two eggs to the skillet and scramble the mixture well. Warm corn tortillas and have drunken bachelor breakfast burritos.